Monday, December 13, 2010

Advent and Planning

About this time every year I start to think about the next year. One of the first things I usually plan is what my 2011 devotions will consist of. What English version of the Bible will I read through this year? Is there another devotional I will read through like "My Utmost for His Highest" or "Morning and Evening?" Some years I repeat what I did in the previous year. I think I'll do that this coming year. I like what I'm doing now and don't feel called to something new for 2011. (See attached picture and quote for a pithy commentary on "planlessness.")

I also use the change of year like so many other people do. They're not resolutions, but goals. My first goals usually center around what I'm after with God. 2011 feels to me to be the year of maturity, specifically emotional maturity. This will apply to my sermons as well as to my personal life. A summer series on emotions and maturity is in the works as a break from all the time we'll be spending in the gospels through and after Easter.

I have personal goals in mind too. Life goals need constant review. Advent teaches this. The Advent of Christ forced every person involved to make plans, new plans. Mary, Joseph, Zechariah, Elizabeth, the Magi, Herod, shepherds, and even angels all made new plans around Jesus. Jesus changes plans as much as He changes people. Plans or people that ignore Him are unwise. Plans that acknowledge Him are sometimes risky as well.

Our plans reveal what we believe and what we value. Two things we could all do more of: 1) pray and 2) plan. If we have no plan for God or to do things for God, we have little chance of loving or serving Him the way we'd like.

PRAYER: Lord, You have a plan for my life. I want to make plans with Your plans in mind. Help me be wise about how I view time and the future. Help me understand what I need to understand in order to head into the new year with focus and intelligence. What do You want out of my life? What do You want to change in and through me?

TOMORROW: Advent and Children


 

No comments:

Post a Comment