Thursday, December 2, 2010

Advent and Unemployment

There's a verse that I drive people crazy with. I quote it too much. "He who works his land will have abundant food, but he who cases fantasies lacks judgment." (Proverbs 12:11) It has always served as a corrective for me. I am prone to chase fantasies and ignore the ground in front of me. This was especially true of me as a younger man.

One of the hardest things about losing a job is the sense that there is no ground left to work. I remember the times I've been laid off. Many of us underestimate how severe a blow it can be. It can knock the wind out of your spirit, even if you didn't like your job. It can set strong emotions on fire. When you lose a job, it almost always feels like you've lost much more. Rejection and despair come right to your door.

What do I do now?

The funny thing about Advent is that this is the question it starts with. It was Mary's question. It was Joseph's question. Both were set up by Mary being pregnant with Jesus to be rejected by their families and society. To be forsaken was their guaranteed lot. Unemployment gives us a taste of this.

What do I do now?

There is joy for angels and shepherds. Mary treasured and pondered their joy, but it does not say (in Luke 2) that she had any of her own. Days after Jesus' birth she was told that a sword would pierce her soul.

What do I do now?

This is the question that an earthly trial like unemployment can inspire. It is the question of Advent, a question answered only by Christ. If you have lost your job or are having trouble getting one, let the promise of Christ help you keep things in perspective. If you have a job, good for you. Don't base your sense of security on it. More importantly, don't set it up as a benchmark of God's love for you. If you do, you might feel like you are losing your faith as well as your income when you get laid off.

PRAYER: Lord, I pray for all who seek employment. I pray that those who don't have it receive peace and guidance from you today. This season can make the unemployed person feel particularly forsaken. Reverse this, Lord. Give the job to each as You will and as he or she needs. Supply and provide. Comfort and direct. Remove obstacles, including the largest ones fashioned from pain and pride. Answer us with Yourself when we ask You, "What do I do now?"

TOMORROW: Advent and Sex    

No comments:

Post a Comment