Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Advent and Tube Socks

Tube socks were cool in the years I was growing up. They'd be white accept for three stripes on top. These could be three different colors or three of the same color. One wore them fully pulled up; no bagging them down by the ankles. Combined with a pair of cut-offs, fully deployed tube socks played a dominant role in a typical 70's summer wardrobe. In other seasons they were good for standard, daily wear and, of course, gym. Every Christmas I got a set of six tube socks. New tube socks always complimented whatever other gifts I would get. The stripes would be colors and combinations different from any I already had. Credit was never given to Santa for tube socks. They would always be "from Mom." I assumed no tube socks departments existed at the North Pole. They are too practical. If they did not come wrapped and accompanied by better presents that were also wrapped, they might not qualify as a gift. They are like the batteries some people wrap for their kids when they give them with a real gift or toy that requires them: not a gift really.

The parts of Advent and Christmas that really matter are received in the same way by some. The beauty and imaginative parts are great; the technical parts concerning covenants and redemption are the tube socks. "Sure, I could use them, but I'm looking for something more. If this is all there is, then I might lose interest." Sadly, some have lost interest in the gospel, accepting in exchange a hybrid of tradition and cheer. Worse yet, some hear a message of self-improvement coming from the angels. Let's all be nicer and kinder. If it were not impossible, it would be fine. The point of Advent is that we are in dire need of saving. Our attempts to save ourselves resemble the arm motions of a drowning person.

We've killed ourselves with sin. Someone able needs to come down and take our place in the coffin. We have no other hope.

In parts of the world where people know their extreme need, tube socks are a glorious gift.

PRAYER: Lord, help me know my need for You. I don't need the things I think I need. I need You. Advent is the story of how You met my need. It is the best story of my life, and it happened before I was born. Give me awareness, gratitude, and humility. Father, give me Jesus for Christmas this year. Amen.

TOMORROW: Advent and Scotch Tape

No comments:

Post a Comment