Friday, December 3, 2010

Advent and Sex

Sex is a powerful force in this world. A song, now ten years old, by a band named Creed, has this lyric: "We all know sex sells, and the whole world is buying." Christmas features the virgin birth of Christ. His conception was immaculate. It was clean. The first thought that many have of this is that sex is to be seen as dirty. Holiness and sexuality don't get to be in the same room. Look at it again. There's a more redemptive principle at work that may, these days, help many people. The conception of Christ is shielded from sexuality not because sex is dirty or wrong. God created sex to be a beautiful expression of marital love. The boundary is put in place because sex is so powerful. It is a master to so many. It occupies so much space in so many people's lives. So many I know are trapped by their sexuality in one way or another. The Advent of Christ stands apart. It is always different. The cure is not like the disease. No matter how distorted or discouraging the sexual side of life may be, Christ calls us to Himself along other lines. He remains above all those influences. No past can deny those who seek Him a future. No gift can remain a curse, if the gift of faith in Him is received.

PRAYER: Lord, I am relieved and encouraged by Your presence in my life. This world turns treasure into trash, but You came to reverse this. I confess my sin and my sins to You. I also confess my fears and my sense of being bound to my failures. Show me Your power that exceeds my weakness. Show me Your joy that replaces my despair. In Your Name I rejoice and pray. Amen.

TOMORROW: Advent and Resentment

No comments:

Post a Comment